It is no secret that I am a hard core meat eater, and for some reason we have SO many mock meat recipes in the household that it is crazy – from besan ki kaleji, to all sorts of dum pulavs and biryanis. This one is a long standing favourite – kathal (jackfruit) ki biryani with fragrant rice and is the perfect option for vegetarians and meat eaters when alike.
Kachhe Kathal ki biryani
For 3 hungry hoggers –
- Kathal (Jack fruit) – ½ kg
- Onions -2 big, chopped + 1 big julienne, for frying
- Ginger+garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2 medium sized
- Black cardamom – 1
- Green cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Desi Ghee/ butter – 2 tbsp
- Rice – one cup, soaked for half an hour
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam masala – just a pinch
- Water – 2 cups for cooking the rice + another cup for cooking the kathal
- Salt – as per taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat Ghee in a large pan, add bay leaves, cardamoms, cloves and let them crackle for a minute.
- Add the chopped onion, sauté till pink in colour, add ginger garlic paste, saute for a minute
- Add Red chilly powder, turmeric, coriander powder and salt, sprinkle some water and saute for few seconds
- Add washed kathal pieces saute until kathal is half done (sprinkle water in between if it starts to stick)
- Add soaked rice and water, cover the pan with lid, cook on medium heat until done.
- Add a few coriander leaves and garam masala to top. Serve hot with raita.
You can also try this with leftover kathal ki sabzi, Happy Chomping 🙂