Caffe Tonino is a piece of Italy tucked in next to one of Connaught Place’s oldest eatery, Nizma’s. White brick walls, sun bathed walls, beautiful highlights of yellow, a bold use of chevrons, an open kitchen and the pasta displayed artfully adding to the authentic Italian decor.
After gorging on this palatable preparation of pasta, I was intrigued by its preparation and that is what prompted me to try my hands on it. The result was not half bad.
Gnocchi – Serves 4
Potatoes – 2 big ones
All purpose flour – 2 cups
A dash of salt and pepper
- Boil water in a pan and add the washed potatoes into it. Cook till the potatoes are done, tender but still firm. You could also Microwave the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl – the potatoes cut into quarters and with just a little but of water. Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool the potatoes. When cool, peel and mash the potatoes.
- Add a portion of flour into the mashed potatoes, along with the salt and pepper and knead them into a dough. Keep adding flour until you get a consistent dough.
- Shape small portions of the dough into long snakes and cut them into pieces of about an inch. To add a little texture to the gnocchi, you could use a fork to press into it.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and gently add the dough balls into it. Cook the gnocchi until it rises to the surface of the water and then drain them and cool.
- Mix the gnocchi with the sauce of your choice or just season it aglio oilo style.
Find Caffe Tonino – First Floor, PVR Plaza Building, H Block, Connaught Place, New Delhi
Find more Gnocchi recipes – Gnocchi@AllRecipes